Every Tuesday, the Analog Kid blog goes back in time and features some groovy R&B/soul songs from a specific year. Sometimes you’ll hear songs from individual artists, and other times you’ll get an entire full-length classic LP ripped directly from the Analog Kid’s vast vinyl vault. Warning: by R&B/soul, I also mean disco. I could go all Musique on your ass at any given moment, so just be ready!
Groovy Tuesday: A Night At Studio 54
I don’t think it gets any better than this! On this very special Groovy Tuesday, the Analog Kid blog is proud to present the legendary compilation album A Night At Studio 54 in its entirety. This classic disco compilation from 1979 has never been released on CD, and it contains a number of mixes unique to this LP. My little brother was a KISS fanatic back in 1979, but that didn’t stop him from spending a big chunk of his hard-earned allowance on a copy of A Night At Studio 54. We absolutely wore this record out, and of course we giggled hysterically every time we listened to “In The Bush.” That’s what little dudes do.
Note: each side of A Night At Studio 54 is mixed as a continuous groove, so I’m going to do something I’ve never done before! In order to facilitate a better listening experience for my dear readers, I am adding a separate download link for each song. My advice to you is to download each track (right-click the link and select Save Link As) to your computer, and then import the files into your preferred mp3 player. Each file is already properly sequenced, so you should quickly be able to listen to the album with no interruptions (as both God and Neil Bogart intended). Of course, you can still listen to individual songs (as always) by clicking on the embedded link. Happy listening!
A Night At Studio 54
Casbalanca Records, 1979
Vinyl rip courtesy of the Analog Kid
1. Chic: “Le Freak” (Rodgers/Edwards)
2. The Michael Zager Band: “Let’s All Chant” (Fields/Zager)
3. The Village People: “YMCA” (Morali/Belolo/Willis)
4. G.Q.: “Disco Nights (Rock Freak)” (Le Blanc/Lane/Crier/Servic)
5. Cher: “Take Me Home” (Aller/Esty)
6. Alicia Bridges: “I Love The Night Life (Disco ‘Round)” (Bridges/Hutcheson)
I Love The Night Life (Disco ‘Round)
7. Love And Kisses: “I Found Love (Now That I Found You)” (Constandinos)
8. Donna Summer: “Last Dance” (Jabara)
9. Cheryl Lynn: “Got To Be Real” (Lynn/Paich/Foster)
10. Instant Funk: “I Got My Mind Made Up” (Miller/Miller/Earl)
11. Karen Young: “Hot Shot” (Kahn/Borusiewicz)
12. Patrick Juvet: “I Love America” (Juvet/Morali/Willis)
13. Voyage: “Souvenirs” (Chantereau/Dahan/Tezin)
14. D.C. LaRue: “Hot Jungle Drums And Voo Doo Rhythm” (LaRue/Esty)
Hot Jungle Drums And Voo Doo Rhythm
15. Musique: “In The Bush” (Adams/Cooper)
16. Dan Hartman: “Instant Replay” (Hartman)
17. Peaches & Herb: “Shake Your Groove Thing” (Fekaris/Perren)
The first rule of The Analog Kid blog is that if you write about a song on the Analog Kid blog, you share the song on the Analog Kid blog.
KISS: “I Was Made For Lovin’ You” [Disco Mix] (Stanley/Child/Poncia)
From the 12″ single I Was Made For Lovin’ You
Original version from the album Dynasty
Casablanca Records, 1979
Thank you for this disco list for STUDIO 54!